punto di interesse

Castle of Alviano

Castello

+39 324 818 1938

museidialviano@gmail.com

Saturday:  4pm – 7pm
Sunday:    10am – 7pm

point of interest

Castle of Alviano

Castello

+39 324 818 1938

museidialviano@gmail.com

Saturday:  4pm – 7pm
Sunday:    10am – 7pm

Placed in an hill which dominate the Tevere Valley, surrounded by the houses of the village, there is the possent Castle of Alviano.

The noble family of Alviano and the history of the Castle

The Castle of Aviano was built around the 996 for the interest of Count Offredo, progenitor of the future Alviano’s Family. Then, with the help of the Pontificium State,  grew in power and became one the most powerful realities of the south of Umbria. 

The argues between the guelphs and ghibellines, showed the Castle belogon part of one and after the other side, until after the destruction by Chiaravalle, the Castle became in 1495, thanks to Bartolomeo of Alviano, the real Renaissance fortified stately residence that we know now.

In 1543 Isabella, nephew of Bartolomeo and bride of Federico Cesi I, exchanged the feud of Alviano with the feud of Acquasparta, leaving to the Farnese family. 

During the years the castle missed most of its military role to become a complex only for living and had hosted different noble families of the periodo until in 1654 Olimpia Pamphili buyed the property. 

Today the Castle is owned by the Municipality which has also made it its headquarters.

Placed in an hill which dominate the Tevere Valley, surrounded by the houses of the village, there is the possent Castle of Alviano.

The noble family of Alviano and the history of the Castle

The Castle of Aviano was built around the 996 for the interest of Count Offredo, progenitor of the future Alviano’s Family. Then, with the help of the Pontificium State,  grew in power and became one the most powerful realities of the south of Umbria. 

The argues between the guelphs and ghibellines, showed the Castle belogon part of one and after the other side, until after the destruction by Chiaravalle, the Castle became in 1495, thanks to Bartolomeo of Alviano, the real Renaissance fortified stately residence that we know now.

In 1543 Isabella, nephew of Bartolomeo and bride of Federico Cesi I, exchanged the feud of Alviano with the feud of Acquasparta, leaving to the Farnese family. 

During the years the castle missed most of its military role to become a complex only for living and had hosted different noble families of the periodo until in 1654 Olimpia Pamphili buyed the property. 

Today the Castle is owned by the Municipality which has also made it its headquarters.

ingresso-castello-alviano

What see inside the Castle of Alviano

The Castle, with trapezoidal form with four towers to defend, is Renaissance style and characteristic are the entrance decorated with a leon and a  jellyfish, and an inside garden with double loggia and a well.

In the first floor, the Chapel of San Francesco preserves some frescos of Seventeen century which represents:

  • The Swallows’s Miracle that happened, concord to the tradition, in 1212 where there is even the face of Donna Olimpia Maidalchini, buyer of the work;
  • The Miracle of the Geese and the Wolf, happened in the same year in Lugnano in Teverina.

The noble floor is the headquarters of the municipality, while on the ground floor there is the Museum of Captains of Fortune, and the Museum of rural life.

What see inside the Castle of Alviano

ingresso-castello-alviano

The Castle, with trapezoidal form with four towers to defend, is Renaissance style and characteristic are the entrance decorated with a leon and a  jellyfish, and an inside garden with double loggia and a well.

In the first floor, the Chapel of San Francesco preserves some frescos of Seventeen century which represents:

  • The Swallows’s Miracle that happened, concord to the tradition, in 1212 where there is even the face of Donna Olimpia Maidalchini, buyer of the work;
  • The Miracle of the Geese and the Wolf, happened in the same year in Lugnano in Teverina.

The noble floor is the headquarters of the municipality, while on the ground floor there is the Museum of Captains of Fortune, and the Museum of rural life.





Information for visit the Castle of Alviano

The Castle of Alviano is visitable during the follow days and hours:

Saturday:  4pm – 7pm | Sunday:  10am – 7pm

By Reservation.

For information:

+393337576283 | cooperativalympha@gmail.comwww.castellodialviano.com

discover all the points of interest of the village

Castle of Alviano
, 05020, Alviano